This is one of the trailers available for free

This is one of the trailers available for free

Well, I am supposed to out of here in two days, I’ve done some packing but the place is so small the boxes are getting in the way and I can’t pack much more until I move. The only real problem I have is; I have no where to move to.

As I have said before, they are closing the trailer park and it is possible to get a mobile home for free; you just have to move it out of here and find a place to put it. The big problem is there aren’t any trailer parks willing to take them because they are all too old. I was telling a customer this and he gave me the number of a friend of his “S” who had just bought some acreage in Mission (a town about 20 minutes from me) I have customers in Mission so that would be ok. I waited for a couple of days and then called “S” and told him my dilemma; he got really excited because he had wanted to put a mobile on his property for his daughter and one for possibly storage. I asked if he knew how to set it up, hook it up to septic or whatever and he seemed to have it all under control, he knew an electrician, and he had the perfect spot to put it. I asked if he would mind if I came out to see the site and he said sure, I could come the next night when he got home from work. The next night it was 7:30pm when he got home and we talked on the phone, I asked where exactly his place was and it is ½ way between Mission and Agassiz.

I Googled Abbotsford to his address and it is 40km and takes 50 minutes to get there. For those of you who don’t know the area (most of you) it is out in the country, WAY out in the country. Agassiz can hardly be called a town, and Mission is red neck territory, I would be 2 hours from Vancouver. I said I would wait until the next day because it was already getting dark, he said to come any way, we could have coffee and he had lots of other things he could show me. I said that I was interested in seeing where the trailer would go and I can’t do that in the dark and he said, “Its all good, come out anyway”. I headed out but got to the edge of town and thought, “What the hell am I doing? Driving to some place I’ve never been, to go into the home of a man I have never met, and no one even knows I am going.” At least in the day light I can see, and I can be outside with Kato near by, so I called and said I wasn’t coming, it was too late.

Then I couldn’t get off the phone, he was telling me that he had talked to me when I had my Ford (I talk to lots of people and I don’t remember). I had told him I drove an old GMC, he asked what happened to the Ford and I said it was a long story but basically it needed too many repairs and I traded it for the GMC.

He told me he can fix anything and he can get a 3 ton truck for free and fix it up for me and put a crane on it. I asked for his email address and said I would email him pictures of the trailers that were available and we would try to meet up in a couple of days.

I got home and the phone rang, it was him again. He said he’d been putting my email address in and accidentally called me, but then he didn’t get off the phone. He was going on about how he would fix my GMC, and he’s got this and he’s got that and if he doesn’t have it he can fabricate it. I am listening cautiously because for one thing he was sounding like another JC to me. He is a welder (just like JC), heavy duty mechanic (like JC), and fabricator (like JC), has all these cars, trucks etc (like JC), wants to “help” me (like JC) and is the best at what he does (like JC). Then he was telling me how he is a quiet guy, doesn’t go to the bars, used to do drugs and drink in his younger days but not any more, that he is a Christian, how he loves dogs, and he thinks it’s great that I haul scrap. He was saying some men don’t think a woman should be doing something like that or that a woman can do the job but he really respects me for doing it. I started to feel like I was applying for the position of girlfriend not tenant. I finally had to lie and say the dogs wanted out in order to get off the phone.

So I am supposed to be going out there today to check this place out and I am not rushing out the door. I am telling myself I should go and at least check it out; I don’t have a lot of options.

The Pros
No one would bitch about my truck
Room for the dogs to run and lots of places to go for walks with them
A place I can put a trailer and I could do what I’ve wanted to do for a long time and that is; see if I can create a home without spending money.

For years I have wanted to challenge myself to make a comfortable, attractive home using other people’s discarded materials and see if I can do it for little or no money. This could be my opportunity to do that. I would document my progress through my blog, take before, during and after pictures and journal what I learn along the way. I really get excited at the thought of doing it and that is swaying me big time towards moving there.
BUT I still have reservations about it.

The Cons
40 km away from the nearest town
In winter the roads would be bad
Added expense of fuel
An added 1 ½ hours to my work day
I would be reliant on him if my truck broke down because I am so far out of the area where I have several friends who can help me out.

I feel uncomfortable because he doesn’t even know me and he’s talking about giving me all this stuff and said something about “who knows I could even be his friend” as if it was a special privilege.

I have to go to work, and I’ll think about it some more today. I have to make money before I can do anything.

I just don’t want to move all the way out there and find out I’ve jumped from the frying pan into the fire, I don’t want to have to move again for a long time. Damn I hate not having options and I hate that I am thinking, “But he said he could fix up that 3 ton for you”. Then the other little voice is saying, “Yeah and what kind of strings will be attached, I have never had a man do anything for me without wanting sex.” And that my friends is a topic for another post another day.

Posted by Carrie the Lady Witha Truck using WordPress for BlackBerry.

Advertisements

17 thoughts on “When Does Bragging End & Narcissism Start

1. Linda Tremaine

It’s a tough choice, but if it was me, I think I’d pass and keep looking. This guy sounds like he could be dangerous, and your safety and peace of mind are more important. I couldn’t tell you what to do. I don’t envy your options.

1. ladywithatruck Post author

Thanks for your input. Yeah I am swaying towards passing on it. That gut instinct thing and I keep saying I am going to start listening to it; now would be a good time.

I appreciate your point of view thanks.
      Carrie

2. talesfromthelou

Too far Carrie. And anyone who says women should not be doing the work your are doing clearly do not understand the kind of woman you are (free)

3. Deb

I talked to my husband about this and had him read your post as well, to get his point of view as well. We both think that sometimes you can get a better perspective of a person when you meet them in person. We both think you can go out there during the day, and with a friend. I repeat…take a friend with you.
    Then from there you may be able to make a better decision rather than feeling like you have to make one now. But once you are there “with a friend,” you need to listen to your gut over everything.
    If you can’t take a friend I make sure you have someone who gives a damn about you know that your are going over there and how long you expect to be gone….make sure they have his address, his phone number and email if you have all those things.
    I’ll be praying about his today for God to help you though this whole thing.
    Love and Hugs, xx

1. ladywithatruck Post author

Deb! You are such a sweetheart of a friend! To get your husband to read my post and for both of you to voice your opinion and advice. I was so touched when I read your comment.

I thought about it all day yesterday and at the end of the day I just could not bring myself to drive out there. I might never know why but my gut instinct was working over time telling me not to go.

Something else will come up.

Thanks my dear friend for your concern and logical advice and thanks to your husband too.
      Hugs xx Carrie
      Sent from my BlackBerry® powered by Virgin Mobile.

1. Deb

Then you knew all along that something was very wrong…God was telling you not to go. I’ve noticed He has a way of talking to us trough our stomachs… 🙂
        You keep looking and do not all yourself to have to depend on an abusive, control freak ever again.
        God bless you, my friend
        Love ya,
        xo

1. ladywithatruck Post author

Deb, thank you; your caring and friendship means so much. Yes, I do believe something will come up and I am not going let desperation put me in a bad position again. God has a plan and if it is his plan I won’t have any doubts about it; things will fall into place.

Love and hugs xx
          Carrie

4. campfireshadows

I’d meet him. It sounds like he’s a lonely guy that time should settle down. I meet a lot of folks like that when I’m up in the hills of Appalachia.
    If things look good, tell him you hate being beholding to anyone and that you enjoy being a loner. Tell him visiting is ok now and then, but you like your privacy. Don’t talk much when you meet him. They usually calm down after a bit of time goes by. If things get out of hand, just shoot him.

1. ladywithatruck Post author

Campfire!! I am so glad I wasn’t drinking or eating when I read your comment yesterday because I would have choked or spit it all over the cab of my truck!! Rofl Just shoot him!!

You gave wise advice and I thought long and hard about the whole situation yesterday and at the end of the day I just couldn’t drive the 2 hours to see this place and I thought “do I want to face that drive everyday?” Nope. And to be out there and then realize he’s a psycho and have to move again. (Because I don’t own a gun) wasn’t appealing.

Say a prayer for me something else comes up the clock is ticking.

Thanks for your thoughtful comment. Carrie

5. TikkTok

Your antennae are going for a reason. If you still feel inclined to meet him, take a MAN with you that you can trust and your dog. If you’re allowed to pack, I’d take something, too. Sorry. This gave me the willies. He’s either too aggressive or he’s really lonely way out there. Normally I am all for giving a person the benefit of the doubt, but there is ALWAYS a reason to be smart about it.

1. ladywithatruck Post author

Tikk, You are right. I just did a post on listening to your gut and then a couple of days later I am questioning mine. (Am I being paranoid?, over cautious because he’s like JC?, not giving it a chance?, what options do I have?) A deer doesn’t question it runs.

It would be different if I knew the guy but turns out he isn’t even from the area and moved here from Kamloops (4 hrs away) and lived in many different towns so no one knows him very well.

Could be he’s the greatest guy, maybe I would have really liked him but oh well!! I feel relieved and that says a lot too.

Thanks for your concern and comments. You and campfire would get along great. Now if I had the two of you go with me the guy wouldn’t dare do anything.

I arrive with a dog, a HUGE (I have a friend Big Gord who’s at least 6’5″ and 350 lbs) man and a woman and campfire both “packing”; the guy wouldn’t ask for references.

Have a great day!

1. TikkTok

Yep, that about sums it up. 😆

It is easy to question our instincts when we have come out the other side of what we’ve gone through. We want to be “normal”. That leaves us questioning our instincts, because we know they are products of our experiences, and everything past that is essentially filtered through those experiences.

I just feel that those experiences better equip us to deal with similar situations and avoid them. It never hurts to do an instinct check. I keep reminding myself that it only takes a single time to ignore them to end up in a situation you wish you weren’t in……..

6. The Heretic

I agree with the lady above. If you do go to check it out take someone with you, if it seems iffy thank the guy for his time and head out.

1. ladywithatruck Post author

Heretic, sage advice. I went with my gut instincts. It was too far out to take a chance. Too far from everything. I’d be stuck out there; fine if I was with the love of my life but not with a lonely stranger.

That’s the stuff good horror movies are made of.

Thanks for commenting